When I sat down to make my best films of the decade list, I realized that they were all sci-fi/fantasy films (with the exception of a few like There Will Be Blood, The Weather Man, Shaun of the Dead, and Traffic.)
So… here’s my list for the decade’s best films, which all happen to be sci-fi!
1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
You may think it’s three movies, but it’s not. Watch Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Return of the King back-to-back (director’s extended cut ONLY) and you’ll see why it’s the very definition of cinematic bliss. Peter Jackson’s sprawling epic adapts J.R.R. Tolkien’s beloved novels by deftly balancing grandiose visuals, intimate performances, and the most spectacular battle sequences ever seen. Wizards, hobbits, elves, monsters – this trilogy has everything I’ve ever thought was cool about Dungeons & Dragons and brings them to life in a way that will make you swear Middle-Earth is a real place. FRODO LIVES!
2. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuaron’s long, unbroken takes mesmerize in this captivating tale of a future with little hope.)
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Charlie Kaufman and Michel Gondry tell a deeply personal story of love gone awry by using tech gone awry. A perfect film.)
4. Solaris (Steven Soderbergh’s cerebral thriller is a gorgeous remake of Tarkovsky’s 1972 film about a widower’s memories in the presence of a mysterious blue planet. Damn fine filmmaking.)
5. Batman Begins (Best comic book movie ever. Yes, better than Dark Knight.)
6. Moon (Duncan Jones delivers a story of isolation and paranoia that ranks among the best of the alone-in-space genre.)
7. Serenity (Joss Whedon’s action adventure is one of the most entertaining space flicks ever.)
8. The Fountain (Beautiful and haunting. Hugh Jackson’s performance is heartbreaking in this underrated rumination on mortality from Darren Aronofsky.)
9. Primer (Uber realistic and smart sci-fi that requires repeat viewing.)
10. The Prestige (Christopher Nolan turns this magician’s rivalry tale into a gripping sci-fi flick with the aid of Nikola Tesla… Nikola. Frakkin’. Tesla!)
What are your fave films of the 2000s?